When I was recently sent some information and an invitation to try some samples of a new supplement that was supposed to provide health benefits like heart health, circulation, brain support memory enhancement, as well as give me a natural energy boost, I was skeptical.
I think healthy skepticism of any claim of the super powers of a food that has been used by an indigenous tribe for centuries to remain healthier than their mainstream counterparts is a good thing, but should also be explored further. Especially when there are 20 years of Harvard University research that supports this claim.
So I looked further into CocoaWell, its products and its claims of health benefits and sustainability, and gave the samples a try. This is what I discovered:
- A recent study published in the Chemistry Central Journal showed that cocoa powder provides “nutritive value beyond that derived from its macronutrient composition.” Basically, cacao seeds should be considered a “Super Fruit” and products derived from cacao seed extracts, such as natural cocoa powder and dark chocolate, as “Super Foods” due to the high levels of antioxidant capacity, polyphenol content, and flavanol content.
- Norman Hollenberg, MD, PhD, at Harvard University has been documenting the use of unprocessed cocoa by the Kuna Indians in Panama for years. His research shows that because of their use of cocoa, they have 1/9 the incidence of heart attack, stroke, diabetes and cancer.
- Cocoa (Theobroma cacao) actually means “Food of the Gods” and has been used medicinally, as a drink for the wealthy, currency, and eaten in various ways for thousands of years. Depending on how it is processed now, cocoa can be a wonderful health food or a sugar-laden junk food.
- CocoaWell is doing it right. They used the health practices of the Kuna Indians to develop a proprietary, innovative method to deliver the health benefits of raw, non-GMO beans by making it into fresh, fair-trade, organic cocoa in a two-capsule serving, without the calories and sugar. CocoaWell is dedicated to sustainable practices, protecting the natural environment and supporting indigenous cultures.
- I liked it!
Their product line includes three varieties:
Cocoa is enhanced with Pure Plant Flavanol Complex, an exclusive blend of plant sources that delivers the remarkable health benefits of catechin flavanols.
One serving offers:
- Offers protective heart-healthy antioxidants
- Promotes mental clarity, focus & elevated mood
- Provides enhanced natural energy & increased alertness
Cocoa Energy Restore uses an exclusive Adaptogen3 blend delivers high-quality, standardized extracts of 3 of the most powerful energizing herbs to help the body adapt to mental and physical stress: Ashwagandha, Rhodiola and Schisandra.
One serving offers:
- Enhances energy and focus
- Boosts mental and physical performance
- Helps fight fatigue and exhaustion
Cocoa Heart CoQ10 features one of the most important, naturally occurring elements in the body for maintaining proper cardiovascular function: CoQ10.
One serving offers:
- Enhances cellular energy
- Promotes heart and arterial health
- Supports healthy blood flow and circulation
- Features CoQ10 with cocoa and plant flavanols
CocoaWell has generously offered 1 box of their Cocoa Energy Restore (True Energy) and 1 box of their Cocoa Heart CoQ10 (worth $60) for an Almost All The Truth reader. Want to check out what all the excitement over cocoa is about?
Enter to Win: Leave a comment on this post telling me why you want to win.
Additional Entries (leave a comment and any applicable links for each entry):
- Leave a meaningful comment on any other post. (1 entry each)
- Share this post via Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon using the handy ‘Share The Love’ menu at the bottom of this post. (1 entry each)
- Put my sweet little blog badge over there to your right on your blog. (1 entry)
- Connect with Almost All The Truth on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Follow me on twitter. (1 entry)
- Subscribe. Let me know by what method. (1 entry)
- Blog about this giveaway. (5 entries)
Contest Deadline: October 6 @ 9 pm PST.
Contest eligibility and fine print: Open to all US and Canadian residents that are not me. The winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond, so make sure I have a valid email address. Email addresses will not be sold or used in any other way than to notify the winner.
See my disclosure policy here. All opinions are my own.
This contest has now ended. Congratulations to our winner Susie. Hope you love your CocoaWell energy!