I don’t know where the future of transportation will take us, but I do like the current electric technology we’ve seen lately from many of the top manufacturers, at least as one alternative. Mitsubishi has a new electric car on the market and it is cute as a bug’s ear, very affordable, and is still the right size for many families – the Mitsubishi i.
Mitsubishi i Facts
- The most affordable 100% electric-powered mass-market production vehicle available in North America. Starting at only $21,625 after the federal rebate.
- Powered by Mitsubishi innovative Electric Vehicle (MiEV) technology, the rear-wheel drive vehicle’s drive system includes a 49 kW (66 bhp) AC synchronous electric motor; an 88 cell, 330V lithium-ion battery pack for a peak storage of 16 kWh; and a single fixed-reduction gear transmission. This electric motor is capable of producing its peak torque of 145 lb.-ft. almost instantaneously when accelerating from a standstill
- An EPA certified “real world” rating of 62 miles/charge driving range and a top speed of 80 mph making it appropriate for city commutes and around town errands.
- An estimated 7 hour charge time from a completely empty battery to fully charged with the recommended home charging system. An estimated 30 minute charge time from very low battery to 80% full using a public quick charge. Any household outlet will charge this battery, it just takes a little longer.
- The 8-year/100,000-mile main drive lithium-ion battery warranty is great news for those concerned about minimizing battery waste and expense.
We live in a world where many people, including myself, rely on a car for daily, or at least weekly, activities. I wish that weren’t necessarily so, but it is. Soaring gas prices and oil companies venturing into ecologically fragile places to find more domestic oil, something has to change. I don’t believe we can stop looking yet, but until we can I am glad major car manufacturers like Mitsubishi are exploring more sustainable electric technology.
Want to see more? Not only do you really want to see this car in person at a local dealer (schedule that test drive!), but they are doing some fun things with social media. The Mitsubishi i Facebook pagehas some great tools, including a savings calculator and a trip calculator to show what this car can do for you.
Great Green Giveaway from Mitsubishi i
In order to celebrate the new 100% electric car, Mitsubishi is letting me host a giveaway! No, it’s not a car. Wouldn’t that be amazing? This great green giveaway is still pretty awesome though: $100 Whole Foods Gift Card, set of Organic People Towels, and a set of Lunchbots!
I will also be provided with a prize package. All my opinions are my own and were not biased in any way. The sponsor is offering this giveaway to one lucky reader.