October is a busy month. The month is dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness, Vegetarian Awareness, and even more health related awareness campaigns. There are important days set aside to speak out for important causes: World Animal Day, International Day of the Girl, and even today is Octopus Awareness Day.
#ReThinkThePink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. No more pinkwashing! photo via @floursackmama
But this year October is also a power month, ready to take on the awareness and effect real inspiring change. It was also the inaugural ShiftCon Conference in Los Angeles. What does this mean?
1. I was able to spend time in person with influential bloggers, non-profits, and brands that are educating and effecting change for eco-wellness. It isn’t every day you are in the same room as Leah Segedie, Dr. Greene, Healthy Child Healthy World, Women’s Voices For The Earth, Breast Cancer Fund, Earth Mama Angel Baby, Traditional Medicinals, Stonyfield, and the other amazing keynote speakers, panelists, and change makers.
2. I was able to remind myself that collective wisdom is powerful. I don’t need to know everything so long as I align myself with voices that complement mine. Together we are a deep well of knowledge.
3. We don’t have to always agree to effect change. I may not alway agree with another blogger’s tactics, or a non-profits specific campaign, but when we stand together more often than not we make things happen.
4. Just because it is a conference with hundreds of people does not mean we have to sacrifice quality of food or resort to lots of waste. Sponsors provided amazing food, drinks, cocktails, and more – plus composting! It was incredible.
5. It is important to bring people together in this way to spark that inspiration that may be hiding under endless soccer schedules, laundry, other work, and sometimes the depressing nature of what we do. I don’t think anyone came away without optimism and a goal for the future. That is something to celebrate!
Are you ready to make the SHIFT? Let me know what you are most passionate about in the comments!