We want to wish all the mamas (and mamas-to-be) a very Happy Mother’s Day this weekend! I hope you all have a wonderful day to relax and enjoy those little reasons you are a mom!
Looking for green gift ideas? There are so many ways for your gifts to be more earth friendly. Here are some ideas for some of the traditional gifts…
1) Flowers. Buy locally grown first. There are several Farmers Markets that have already opened or find a shop or farm that sells local flowers. Buy organic if you can! Another great option to cut flowers is potted flowers, herbs, or plant.
2) Jewelry. Buy vintage! I just learned that it takes at least 5 tons of water and 20 tons of mine waste to produce a simple gold ring. Plus there is an even greater human rights problem in the mining and production of most jewelry. There are also some great artists that use recycled materials to create beautiful jewelry without the harmful ecological and social impact!
3) Candles. Try to find soy or beeswax candles, or make your own! If you need a scent, look for one made with essential oils and a lead-free wick. Just do a quick google search and you will find lots of information to make your own. Most candles are made with crude oil byproduct, the burning of which releases a lot of nasty chemicals into the air. Who wants that?
4) Chocolate. If you are going to go with chocolate, look for fair-trade and organic. The chocolate industry is rife with human rights abuses and ecological destruction. Fair Trade certified chocolate ensures that forced and abusive child labor are prohibited, farmers earn a price that is enough to endsure that basic needs will be met, and environmentally sustainable methods will be used. Plus it just tastes so good!
5) Spa Day. Choose a green spa! Green spas strive to reduce their environmental footprint by reducing water and energy usage, is committed to using recyclable materials, utilizes natural and organic skin care products, etc.
6) Anything made by little kids is pretty awesome. There are plenty of ways to use recycled materials to make something that will melt any mom’s heart!
See what you can come up with this year!